Tuesday, January 25, 2011

How to take your mind off the job and relax for once

I love my job, I always have, I always will, the satisfaction I get from helping an individual is intoxicating, and for a moment I feel like I have done something great with my life, but knowing when to say I am going to sit this one out is a must, not only for you but for others. If you’re like me you entered this business trying to learn, see, do, and experience everything you can in the world of EMS. I was at the station all of the time, my relationships took a back seat, my friends were my co-workers, I integrated myself into this world and felt accepted, overtime was plentiful and I was never home. 
I joined EMS at a young age, I was able to start training when I was 17 and started working the ambulance once I graduated high school and was 18. For almost 7 years I accepted the lifestyle that came with working EMS, and now looking back it wasn't such a good idea, I burnt out. I want to share with you some tips that I have come across that will help you not only save yourself from burn out but also help you say no to working all the time.

1.      Coworkers are like family in our world, they understand, they live the life with us, but, you need to remember they don’t replace your actual family. One of the habits I fell into while working was that I would see my coworkers all the time, if I had a day off I would stop by the station for a cigarette, or to have a cup of coffee. This ended up being more time I spent away from my family, and is time that is lost. No matter what your coworkers are always going to be just that, coworkers. Sure they can relate, they can help, they can be a crying shoulder for you when you need it, but, is it fair to yourself to put your real family on the back burner? No. No one understands you better that your family and time spent with them is time well spent. Sure they can’t relate with you like the “guys” at work can but, they will listen, they will be a crying shoulder, they are there for you always. Don’t take them for granted because one day they won’t be there.
2.      Eating right is a must if you’re going to survive. Let me tell you a story, when I started working the ambulance I packed my own food every day, but, as time went on I start to see how much easier it was just to go get fast food. Eating McDonalds for every shift breakfast, lunch, and dinner took a toll on my body, and my stomach. I gained over 100lbs in the seven years I worked EMS, this lead to back injuries and even stomach problems. Eat right and stay healthy, I know how some shifts are and yes it is easier to hit the fast food joints than it is to go back to the station and make something, but there are healthier choices that can be made too, skip the burger for a salad. Remember you’re the EMS provider, you’re not supposed to be the sick one.
3.      Workout daily, and stretch too. Our line of work is very demanding, but remember we do have downtime, if not much its some, if you take five minutes out of your schedule daily and do a little workout and stretch your muscles, your body will thank you in the end with less injuries.
4.       Pick up a hobby, remember you have other things in life that make you happy and excite you just as much as your work does, take some time to do what makes you happy away from the ambulance.
5.      Turn your pager off, remember it’s a call, there will be more.
6.      Don’t drink to get rid of what you have seen, it doesn’t work, it’s a band aid, not a solution. Talk to someone instead, get your feelings out, no one’s going to look down on you and they will know that they can come to you when they need to vent or need advice.
7.      And no matter what always make time for your relationships, because once they are gone, you’re going to miss having them.
I hope what I have shared is helpful to some of you, remember it is a job and time away from it is healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment